Monday, July 18, 2011

An updated version of (gag) black bean brownies!

Hi guys and gals! Hope you are enjoying your summer! Remember when I said I was going to blog here again? I guess I lied! :\ I swear - I have good intentions! I just... forget sometimes! :) Anyway, I hope this finds you well! The boys are growing so quickly - Jude is almost 3.5 (ahhh!) and Noel is 10 months! It's odd not having a toddler anymore (is 3.5 a toddler?) and coming into toddlerhood with another one. It's sad that this stage of life passes so quickly.

Anyway! We went to our dear friends' house for dinner last week and I wanted to make something a bit fun and different. I decided to try to trick them with my black bean brownies, but I changed them up a bit. I took this recipe and changed it just a bit. I omitted the peppermint extract and chocolate chips and added some peanut butter and a good handful of frozen spinach. Gross, right? But delicious! The kids ate them and my dear friend's husband was game to try to guess the secret ingredients in these "special" brownies and he guessed peanut butter - so wahoo! Success!

Here's what you need:

-15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed in a colander
-1/4 c peanut butter
-1/4 c spinach
-3 tbsp olive oil
-3 large eggs
-1 c sugar
-1/2 c cocoa powder
-1 tsp vanilla
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp salt

Optional:
Chopped nuts
Chocolate chips
Oats

Here's what to do:

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 pan.

Combine beans, peanut butter, spinach, and olive oil in food processor and process until creamy (it doesn't have to be SUPER smooth.. it's difficult to get it to that consistency). Add tthe eggs, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Process until it's fairly smooth. If you want to, add some nuts, oats, or chocolate chips to make it extra delicious!

Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. The edges will pull away from the pan a bit, too.

Eat up, if you dare! :)

Enjoy!

And if you're a crazy lover of Christmas like me, come say hello on my new blog - the Crazy Christmas Ladies!

Kali

No comments:

Post a Comment